I can’t drag out this project into the new year. I want it done by Christmas. I don’t mind editing typos and making small adjustments post Christmas, but I am that “ya know, it’s okay if you guys go ahead, take that extra walk up the Puy de Dome. I am perfectly fine down here. Send me a selfie! I’m heading down and outta town! I am ready for my next adventure!”
I can’t think about it until I do these rewrites. My supervisors have reassured me it’s not going to be that arduous a task. I am slowly immersing myself into it again. In the shower tonight I thought of ways I could incorporate one of the key theorists I have only mentioned in footnotes. I’ve done the academic thing and overcomplicated a taken for granted phenomenon, or at least that’s how it feels right now. Feels like I’m stating the obvious in too many words.
The thing is, everyone has told me it’s not a PhD. It’s a Masters, you just need to show that you can synthesise information and demonstrate you get the key theories. I don’t have enough words to work with. Arghh
Here’s what I’m going to do:
1) not think about it before bed – going to be hard if it drags into the holidays as night time is when I have time to self to think.
2) I will make the technical changes but run things through my supervisors before re-structuring.
3) remember that it is doable. I just have to force myself to sit there and write.
Which leads me to the question of why if I have discovered in middle age that I am more of an extrovert than introvert, am I still wanting to tell stories through writing when there are so many other ways and I am obviously more of a visual person. Am I just slack? Too lazy or afraid to step out of my comfort zone?
What I need is a holiday. I’m seriously considering booking myself a few days somewhere to write uninterrupted. I need to take this more seriously and it must be my priority after tomorrow until it’s complete.
I also need another blog to dump my other thoughts. This blog is solely a place to track my progress.
The plan for tomorrow – if I find the time.
1) read through feedback. It’s all in a binder now so I can easily flip through it. Make notes on the hard copy.
2) remember how good progress feels and picture end goal. Right now it’s about motivation.
3) do the easy parts first – eg typos, signposting diagrams etc this is the way into other work.
4) write down what I might want to restructure but don’t do it until I get the okay.
5) jot down the questions I have for my supervisors.
6) don’t overthink!!! Don’t focus on the two bad bricks.
None of the ideas I am playing with are alien to me. The theorists are. It’s not hard. It’s not Astro physics.
Okay now I’m all motivated but I need sleep.