82 days until the performance.
Today I took a quick peak at one of the pieces.
Things I must do:
- Get my bow rehaired ASAP – It’s been so long since I played, half of its been eaten by bow mites. Or maybe it’s the silverfish.
- Build up strength. Perhaps I need to look at doing some weights.
- Not spend so much time typing! This is going to be hard given that I’m writing a dissertation and have to mark students’ work online.
- Breathe! It’s for rusty players!
- Practice scales. The piece is fast. My fingers and brains are not.
- Do not panic!
- Hope that my muscles have more memory than my brains.
Things I did:
- Panicked after a reality check.
- Looked at one of the pieces and listened to it on YouTube. I used to play by ear a lot. I may have to rely on this skill again. But then I remembered that I could only rely on this skill because I was always in the section that played the melody. Crap.
- Had flashbacks to both happy and not so happy times with the violin.
- Panicked again after looking at my “milestones to completion” document.
- Panicked some more after looking at my class list – I have a lot of marking to do leading up to this.
- Sight read, albeit badly, the piece. There is no way I can play it at speed. It took me a while to remember.
- Took pride in the fact I could still work out complex key signatures.
- Googled to see if I had the right key signature.
- Wondered whether this is all part of putting off thesis writing.